1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breasts, cut into 2 inch cubes
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup all-purpose or gluten free all-purpose flour
kosher salt and black pepper
3/4 pound brussels sprouts, halved
6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or sesame oil
2/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup pomegranate juice (equal amounts of apple cider or orange juice are great substitutes)
1/4 cups honey
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon molasses or pomegranate molasses
1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
1 inch fresh ginger, grated
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, use more or less to taste
rice, sesame seeds, and green onions, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or grease with oil.
- Add the chicken, egg, and a pinch of pepper to a bowl. Toss to combine. Add the flour to another bowl. Dredge the chicken in batches through the flour, tossing to coat. Place the chicken on one side of the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil. Add the brussels sprouts to the other side of the pan and toss with 2 tablespoon oil, salt, and pepper. Arrange cut side down. Bake for 12 minutes. Toss the sprouts, flip the chicken and return to the oven another 3-5 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Reduce the oven temp to 400 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, combine the soy sauce, pomegranate juice, honey, balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar, molasses, peanut butter, garlic, ginger, and crushed red pepper flakes in a medium saucepan. Set over medium-high heat and bring the sauce to a boil. Boil 5-8 minutes, until the sauce thickens and reduces by about 1/3. Remove from the heat.
- Pour half the sauce over the chicken, tossing to combine. Toss the sprouts with 1 tablespoon oil. Return everything to the oven for 3 minutes, until the sauce coats the chicken, watch close the sauce can burn.
- Serve the chicken and sauce over bowls of rice topped with additional green onions, pomegranate arils, and sesame seeds. Serve the brussels sprouts on the side.