2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into bite-size chunks
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
6 cloves garlic, minced or grated
2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger
2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon garam masala
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon turmeric
1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper, use to your taste
kosher salt and black pepper
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 tablespoons salted butter
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1-2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes, use to your taste
1/2 cup tomato paste
1 (14 ounce) can full-fat coconut milk (or sub 1 cup cream)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro roughly, chopped
steamed rice and naan, for serving
- in a bowl, toss together the chicken, yogurt, 3 cloves garlic, 1 tablespoon ginger, 2 teaspoons garam masala, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, 1/2 – 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, and 1 teaspoon salt. Let sit 5-10 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and sear on both sides until browned, about 2 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon butter and toss to coat the chicken. Remove the chicken from the skillet to a plate.
- To the skillet, add the onion and cook 5 minutes, until softened. Add 2 tablespoons butter, 3 cloves garlic, 1 tablespoon ginger, 1 tablespoon garam masala, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, 1/2 – 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, and the chili flakes. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until very fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and continue cooking another 3-4 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low. Add 1 cup water and the coconut milk. Stir to combine, bring the sauce to a simmer, cook 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly. Stir in 1 tablespoon butter. If the sauce seems thick, thin with 1/2 to 1 cup additional coconut milk. Add the chicken and any juices on the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the chicken and sauce over bowls of rice with fresh naan. Enjoy!